This question has crossed our minds when making a move: how am I going to move that huge furniture that I have in the living room, the bedroom closets, the dressers, the bookcase, the big table where everyone eats the family? That’s the first thing: move them. Then, and assuming that we have hired a moving company, the next question is how they are going to transport them to the van, truck or truck without suffering any friction or damage, taking into account their weight.
To give you some light on these questions that will arise, we have made this post. And we have to tell you that a fundamental question to protect your furniture during a move is to be clear about the protective objectsthat we are going to use. These can be from blankets, clothes or fabrics to cushion the parts of the furniture that we will have disassembled, to foam filling, which will be placed in the boxes between those components. Because one thing is obvious. Furniture that can be disassembled, we will disassemble . Or the specialists of the moving company in New York will do it . Everything that can be put into boxes, we are going to put it for the simple reason that it moves, moves better around the building when going down the stairs or in the elevator and gets into the van much more easily.
The objective is to prevent the furniture from breaking on any corner or side, scratching or having any damage. For that it is important to take these measures:
- Empty the furniture. Remove items from inside furniture to make it easier to move, lift and transport
- Pack the objects inside according to their class or type and pack them
- Cleaning the furniture: to avoid bacteria and mold and dirt accumulated over time
- Disassemble the furniture
- Remove removable parts from furniture
- Consult the assembly and disassembly instructions for each piece of furniture in the manual or on the internet
- Store screws and small pieces of furniture in transparent bags that adhere to the furniture to know that they belong there
- Safely pack or pack the largest disassembled parts in boxes and mark them with the name to find them and know where they are
- Take pictures of the disassembly process with a Smartphone
What Materials To Use To Protect Furniture In A Move?
- Cardboard boxes : Cardboard boxes are basic because it is where we are going to deposit, for transport, the parts of the furniture that are removable, screws, instruction manuals, etc. If the boxes are made of reinforced cardboard, it is much better, since they bear more weight. Regarding the clothes that we put in the wardrobe, vertical wardrobe boxes are very useful, in which the clothes are placed inside and thus do not have to be folded and unfolded to reach their destination.
- Bubble wrap: when we have fragile objects that can break with the inherent movement of transport, it is good to wrap them in bubble wrap, to prevent them from being damaged or broken.
- Plastic wrap: with it we will get rid of dust, dirt and scratches on the different components of the furniture. Both bubble wrap and plastic wrap can be purchased at DIY stores like Leroy Merlin or Aki, or at Amazon and similar sites.
- Duct tape. It is preferable that it has a cutter or dispenser, so as not to be cutting every time we need a strip of tape, with a scissors or with the teeth, which is worse. There is packing tape that has the word fragile written on it that can be used to mark the boxes that have fragile objects
- Sofa cover and mattress cover : to cover objects such as sofas, mattresses, chairs or armchairs and prevent them from hitting or getting dirty.
- Blankets to protect furniture , particularly very sharp corners or sides, and furniture can also be placed on top and moved by pulling the blanket.
- Corner protectors: They are more specific than blankets to protect the corners of furniture and household appliances, such as washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators, refrigerators, ovens, microwaves, etc. They can be made of cardboard or foam.
- Foam padding: Place between glasses, plates and other fragile utensils to prevent them from moving and breaking
- Other accessories: Currently we can find many types of accessories useful for a move, such as straps to immobilize boxes in the van, rubber bands, stickers to indicate things in a box, such as, for example, that it cannot be emptied or dump, wheeled stands, wheelbarrows …
Tools That We Will Surely Use To Pack And Pack The Furniture
- Adjustable wrench: We will have to unscrew the nuts and bolts of the furniture
- Hammer: To nail some part or to break a part
- Scissors: It is good that we have them to cut any strip of electrical tape, a rope, a paper, packing tape
- Metro: It will be necessary to measure furniture and know if we can fit in a moving box, in our new house, in the van or moving van, in the elevator or through the stairwell
- Cutter: Using it with enough skill and care not to damage what may be inside a box, when opening it. It will also help us to cut the pieces of the packaging tape and cut anything easily and quickly
- Screwdrivers: To remove screws or pieces of furniture that we have disassembled.
How To Pack Each Type Of Furniture?
In the case of cabinets, bookcases, dressers and tables: the corners must be well protected with protectors . And the furniture can be wrapped in blankets or fabrics to prevent scratches. Drawers should be taped shut to prevent them from slipping and breaking other parts or breaking when dropped.
In the wardrobes, after disassembling them, the wardrobe boxes that we have talked about before will be used. It is important to remember how we have disassembled it, which can be done with photos with a mobile phone or a short video, even with pauses for each part of the disassembly. Armchairs, sofas and chairs will be better protected from dust and dirt with plastic wrap. Obviously, the cushions or pillows will have to be removed and stored separately. And we will do the same with the wheels, if they have the legs of the sofa or armchair, or of the chair.
What Are The Most Fragile Pieces Of Furniture To Protect During A Move?
If we talk about fragile furniture , works of art and decorative objects are usually fragile because they have many components of glass or glass. But it is also that works of art require special care due to the value they have, even if they are not works of recognized prestige, for their owner.
Other fragile objects par excellence are glasses, cutlery, plates, jugs, dishes, that is, tableware . There are cardboard dividersgreat for transporting these utensils, which can be purchased at Ikea. But in any case it is necessary not to put too many of these fragile objects together to prevent them from breaking when colliding with each other. And basic is also to use bubble wrap and foam filling to fill the space that remains between glass and glass, glass and glass, or another object.
Finally, the boxes that contain fragile objects, it is highly recommended that they have the word Fragile written , either by means of a sticker or written with a marker, so that the employees of the moving company know that they have to take maximum care. It would also be good if the boxes containing fragile objects are stronger and more resistant .